Sunday, November 30, 2008

Still alive

None of us have posted anything in a few days, so here's a little status report on the "sandysback" project.  This is for all you folks who aren't following the mailing list religiously.

We're trying to decide on our platform.  The Python language is pretty much a given, and I'm looking forward to working on a real project with it.  But, after that, it gets a little hazy.  Google App Engine is a candidate, but Django/MySQL is a possibility too.  We're also compiling a list of important features that our first release has to include.  We then need to prioritize that list and assign milestones.

So where's the code?  Where's the new Sandy?  Please be patient.  We're taking planning very seriously on this project.  We have to if we're going to deliver an application that can scale to the hundreds (if not thousands) of passionate Sandy refugees out there.

I expect we'll be designing a database schema this week, and we'll probably start architecting everything else later this week or next weekend.  We probably wont have anything usable until the first of the year at the very earliest.  Again, we don't want to rush this.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for your patience!

And, most of all, thanks for believing in us!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update Dave, I'm rooting for you and your team! Please let me know if there is a good way I can support your progress.

Enlightened Sage said...

Go Go Go! I can't imagine not having Sandy. Keep up the good work.

jdoree said...

Thanks for the update. I wish I could help out.

I have one question though; when you say 'Export to .ics' does that include the ability to subscribe so that events would automatically show up in my Gcal? That would rock.

Craig said...

Hey guys, thanks so much for taking this on. I really look forward to the launch! In the mean time, I'm using gopingme.com, which is nice but doesn't accept natural language and can't be forwarded (or return) emails. I am _really_ gonna miss Sandy.

mkinsel said...

Thanks again for what you're doing!!! What is the "mailing list" that you mentioned in the first paragraph?? I'd like to get on it to stay updated on this project!

Avery Payne said...

I know this is hardly what people want to hear, but as I understand it, the original Sandy was developed on PostgreSQL, not MySQL, and probably for a reason given how popular MySQL is with web developers. I suspect it has something to do with some of the more advanced features that PostgreSQL offers, i.e. Table Inheritance, solid Trigger support, user-defined Data Types, etc.